Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Caught Shoplifting III & IV

It seems as if there's a lot of shoplifting going on out there. Here's two e-mails I just got:

Wendi D. writes: "I was caught at Target with $347 worth of clothes. I didn't get to leave the store before they brought me back in. I admitted because I knew I had no other choice. I am 33 and never been in trouble except for a DUI over 3 years ago. I cannot believe I was so stupid to do such a thing. I have no excuse. But I am out on SOR and do not have the money for a lawyer. I am really scared because of my future and the fact of it being on record. Any advice please. To have it dropped to a misdemeanor and expunged HELP please or my life will be over. I am a very honest person, cannot explain. I am so embarrassed. Thank you."

Jennifer writes: "I got caught shoplifting about 47 dollars worth at the Safeway grocery store. No cops were called. They made an adult get me, so I had my 22 year old sister come sign for my release. They took down her driver license number and have her real name and signature. They asked me my social security number, address, and name. I had an ID so they have the correct name, I changed the digits in my adress, but the street and city number are the same. I gave them a fake social security number. This was all on the first form, it looked important, like there was a yellow copy under it.

On this form and another form, my sister had to sign in order to release me. The second form was something vague about shoplifting $50 to $500. I'm not really sure, but it said they would bill me for another $500 fine to pay off. It was just a sheet of white paper, having my fake address, my sister's name and signurature, and some witness signurature (the guy who caught me). Overall, there were two forms, one where this guy wrote the report on what happened, my fake contact details, and the other with the $500 bill details that also has the fake address. This guy told me not to lie because it would cause more drama and more cops would be envolved. I panicked even more, this was my first time to ever be caught, first offense, I was under high stress, and in complete fear, so I lied. I wish I didn't because Im really scared of what is going to happen when or if they find out I lied. Would they just bill my sister? Will they completely track me down with cops at my house door? Will my parents be notified? HELP!"


Here are two good examples of shoplifting and how to handle the situation. One person (Wendi) is honest, and gives her information and hopes for the best while our second slippery-fingered candidate writes down fake information and hopes that she'll never be tracked down. Both worry about the financial punishment as well.

First and foremost, I will say it again and never again: anytime you are arrested for stealing items that are less than $500, it will always be a misdemeanor. There's no way it can be anything but. So for Wendi, you'll be glad to know you won't be charged with anything bigger than that. As for being expunged, there's not much luck of that.

But I'd like to take some time looking at Jennifer's situation. Here, she called a family member who she could trust to lie along with her original lies -- and then the two put fake contact information on the forms. This, in my humble opinion, is a smart and intelligent way to handle being caught shoplifting. Have you ever noticed that it's the honest people who tell the truth who often get caught and punished the most?

That's because they do.

So, yes -- in the heat of the moment Jennifer lied and provided fake contact information. Good for you, Jennifer! Because unless the police waste their time going door to door with your picture, they're never going to find you. Now, if they have a little time they might look up your name in the phone book -- but they're not going to waste their time, they've got bigger issues to deal with. The only way you'll get caught after providing fake information would be if you walked back into that store and they'd posted a picture of you from your Driver's License. That's it.

In summary, because this is the last time I'll spend on Shoplifting e-mails (just read the previous four and you'll find your answer I'm sure):

1. If you steal less than $500, it will be a misdemeanor IF they catch you or track you down.
2. If you provide fake information, they'll most likely never find you.
3. Don't return to a store where you've stolen goods and gotten caught.

I hope this answers everyone's questions in regards to getting caught shoplifting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awful response in regards to handling retail theft, Cole. I have been in Loss Prevention for several years and have dealt with hundreds of cases similar to the two posted here. I have also dealt with the Civil Demand process in several states and I'm familiar how most of the country works in regards to theft as well. Depending on a designated amount put forth by individual states, shoplifting is generally a Class B Misdemeanor unless it is a repeat offense or if there are circumstances that would lead prosecutors to proceed into further criminal charges.
The two cases listed above are both civil cases. LP does not press criminal charges...aka call police after the fact. If they want to press charges then the cops would have been called on the spot.
False information is common. Most driver's licenses I received did not have current addresses on them, but LPs generally write down the provided address as well as any address on the ID. Lying about a social or a house address won't prevent the corporations legal department from finding you. Driver's license numbers, guardian names, license plate numbers, etc can all be used to track you down.
If the corporations legal/collections department sees falsified information for a routine case, then they may up the amount of restitution owed then hire a private detective to track you down so they can bill you... and if you don't pay then find you'll either find yourself in civil court or your credit will be so shot that you couldn't finance a candy bar.
Lying to an LP/security guard and getting caught could turn a short 10-20 minute apprehension with a ticket into a possible weekend in jail, civil & court fines, court-ordered shoplifter education classes and the possibility of never working a decent job because of a theft conviction on your record.

To sum it all up... 1. Don't Steal. 2. If you do steal, don't get caught. 3. If you get caught, don't fight or run. 4. If you don't fight or run, tell the truth, give proper information, take your slap on the wrist and retain some form of integrity...hopefully then you can find new ways to obtain cheap thrills and crappy merchandise.

-- LP